The Filey & district Lions Club was formed in March 1964, the club was recognised by Lions International in June that year with a membership of 17 people. Our current membership is 34 and we are proud that this includes 7 lady members.
The club is well known in the local area for our community service and support or many great causes, local clubs and societies and individuals in
need. We meet on the 3rd Thursday of every month
and welcome new members.
See Our Committees page for more details.
You may have seen Filey Lions minibus about town, this could be supporting hospital visits, taking the elderly for a day out or even transporting School children to an event. or educational visit.
Our well supported annual events include:
Bonfire and Firework spectacular
Over 85's Christmas Party
Annual Ball Race
Tesco Trolley Dash
10k Beach Race
Santa Sleigh runs
Check our Event Calendar for future events
To give you a better idea of what the Filey & District Lions Club has achieved over our 56 year history, some projects are listed below.
Conversion of cottages in Queen Street, Filey to provide a Museum
Provision of an inshore lifeboat for the RNLI
Provision of lifesaving equipment for the RNLI
Provision of equipment and grants for local youth and child organisations
Major contributions to
St Catherines Hospice
Scarborough Hospital; Scanner appeal, Mammography appeal, Helping Hearts appeal
St Oswalds Church
- Local village halls
- Marie Curie appeals
- St John's Church Community Hub kitchen refurbishment
- Filey Sea Cadets
- Provision of seats, tubs, flower beds
- Provision of a Caravan which other Lions Clubs use for coastal holidays for disadvantaged people
- Helping young people with talent in the arts, or sporting talent to achieve their goals
- Donations to many local and international disaster funds
- Books regarding Ocean Plastics to schools
- Reusable water bottle for school children